The Interpreters and Translators Association of Alabama (ITAA) is a professional organization which promotes the profession of interpreting and translation in Alabama, educates the community on the importance of using qualified language professionals, and supports continuing education and networking opportunities for professional and aspiring interpreters and translators.
Membership in ITAA is open to anyone who is a practicing interpreter or translator, or those interested in learning about the profession or supporting language access in Alabama.
ITAA and its members work to meet the following goals:
- Promote the recognition of interpretation and translation as a profession in the State of Alabama.
- Educate service providers, businesses, organizations, and the community at large on the importance of using qualified, trained, and ultimately certified interpreters and translators.
- Foster a high level of ethical and professional standards for interpreters and translators in the State of Alabama, including promotion of certification in all fields of interpreting and translation.
- Facilitate and promote continuing education and networking opportunities for professional and aspiring interpreters and translators.
- Advocate for improved language access for Limited English Proficient (LEP) and deaf / hard of hearing individuals throughout the state.